34 Excuses for why we failed at Love
1. I’m lonely so I do lonely things
2. Loving you was like going to war; I never came back the same.
4. I was wandering the derelict car park of your heart looking for a ride home.
5. You’re a ghost town I’m too patriotic to leave.
9. I couldn’t love you, you were a small war.
10. We covered the smell of loss with jokes.
12. You made the nomad in me build a house and stay.
14. We were trying to prove our blood wrong.
15. I was still lonely so I did even lonelier things.
18. He knows all of my secrets and still wants to kiss me.
20. It just didn’t work out.
26. I had to leave, I felt lonely when he held me.
27. You’re the song I rewind until I know all the words and I feel sick.
30. We emotionally manipulated one another until we thought it was love.
34. I belong deeply to myself.
[excerpt from the poem by Warsan Shire]